Week 6 - Coaching Philosophy
In part 1 of this week's session we discussed philosophy starting with ethical issues. The lecturer (AT) presented slides and a number of short videos to illustrate the principles. He highlighted three aspects of philosophy.
Values (axiology)
Morality (ethics)
Meaning (ontology)
The question was asked What is the value of Sport? I suggested Health and Well-being. There were other suggestions such as "Enjoyment".
see slide for reference (BEST 1978: 9)
When you justify such a statement in science you need to provide clarification and evidence.
My mind wandered to Phillipides, Jim Fixx and Guto Nyth Bran; three runners who met with an untimely death.
In a reference to the use of philosophical tools as an aid, Hardman and Jones (2008, p. 65) was mentioned; this is actually a reference to Chapter 6 of Jones and Hughes et al. (2008)
Intrinsic and Extrinsic coaching values were mentioned.
Utilitarianism/Consequentialism as a branch of ethics.
Ontology - the meaning!
We also looked at "The Competitive Parent" and we were set a 300 word Case Study, a directed task regarding the coaching of an U8 team - a 7-aside team with 10 in the squad.
The directed reading was Hardman and Jones (2008) Ch 6., this is chapter 6 of Jones and Hughes et al. (2008).
What went well?
My understanding was good. It was consistent with the philosophy part of the sports coaching assignment 1 which I recently handed in.
Chapter 6 of the book (see above) was useful reading, my thoughts are here
What could I have done differently?
Commented on the what is coaching questions - "it is a structured process which aims to provide improvements related to individuals sporting and social development".
What did I learn?
I saw pictures of Plato and Aristotle, I guessed Aristotle was one but I did not know which one.
Names of branches of Philosophy
I am learning what ethics is
What Still Puzzles me?
Part 2 - Practical Session
In part two we performed two practical exercises. We were divided into groups of about 8 for these. The first exercise was to provide a 1 minute personal introduction to the rest of the group. The second was a two minutes sporting demonstration.
The introductory talk
What went well?
I delivered reasonably confidently
What could I have done differently?
I could have quickly scribbled a cue card
What did I learn?
Filming and photographing was a distraction
It was useful to observe the others
I have one or two filmed examples to refer to.
A dedicated camcorder would have been more appropriate for the video footage
my camera batteries were a bit dodgy
Preparation is important (cue cards)
I still do not know all the names
student/competitor/coach kit (as appropriate) would be useful
What Still Puzzles me?
Part 2 - the sporting demo
What went well?
Kept the audience attention
I did it reasonably confidently
What could I have done differently?
Some open questioning
For which type of runner is this drill most appropriate?
Why is this drill useful for all types of runner?
What did I learn?
Think about the purpose of the demo
Think about the make up of the audience
What Still Puzzles me?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment