Friday, December 11, 2009

08 - 27/11/10 Consolidation Lecture

Week 9 – Sports Rotation - Consolidation Lecture Preparation

The Netball Session

What I particularly liked about the netball session, apart from discovering that Netball is a sport after all

I liked the warm up session, the tag game and the passing balls in a group of 8 – two lines facing. I think I can use activities like these when warming up my young squad of runners.

I also learned some basic rules of netball and, like Charles, I learned that you have to be fit to take part in this sport.

Core fitness very important!

The Rugby Session

Like the netball, the Rugby session was enjoyable. If only I was younger; I could see the gaps and angles but couldn’t get there fast enough. I enjoyed getting squished in the mud and I’m sure my young running squad would love that aspect of the game. I thought Chris Cornford led a good warm up session. We learned some rules and the knowledge was given to us gradually, interspersed with some putting into practice. The scrummaging demonstration was interesting. The safety aspects were highlighted - very important too.

The Trampolining Session

I was on the trampoline for my final session in the series of sports rotations.
We learned some safety rules, then some actions, gradually building up in complexity. I noted that you can't sacrifice control for height.

The actions were quite foreign to me so I did find it difficult to understand (visualise) how I was performing so it was good to have a coach there to provide feedback and advise on corrective actions.

As an older athlete I felt that my restricted flexibility and agility limited the extent to which I could engage in this activity. However, I was not discouraged in any way and I appreciated the positive feedback from the coach and the other students. The value of such feedback should not be underestimated. I noticed that improvement came with practice even in such a short time.

I found it to be a very therapeutic exercise and good for my basic fitness; an activity that could be used on occasions to add interest to a predominantly fitness schedule based on weights and cardiovascular machines.

Week 9 – Review (Consolidation Lecture)
Lectures - Date, Time, Location, (Tutor), Students
Lectur – 27/11/2009, 09:00 – 10:30, (AT) all Sports Coaching Students
Drop in – Monday, 13:00 – 15:00, EA A10 (AT),
Tuesday 10:00 – 12:00 EA A10 (MT, CW)

What Went Well?
100% attendance maintained

What might I do differently?

What did I learn?
This session was a review of what is expected for assignment 1
It included a review of aspects of the 3 sciences
It included an exercise involving 3 rules

I discussed rules with – Owen Jones; James Reader; Gavin; Dan; Gareth; Chris Cornford; Morgan; John Table Tennis from Oxford; Charlie
I discussed aggression with Rob and Dean
Jill might be able to help me with WWW references
SAQ equals Speed, Agility, Quickness

What still puzzles me?

No comments:

Post a Comment